Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Roadcrafter Suit

The ride is about 3 weeks away, and still planning it. I've been thinking about getting a Roadcrafter suit for some time. From the many reviews of riding equipment, the Roadcrafter is always among the top for serious riders.

The new Phantom suit by Olympia seems to get rave reviews, but when I looked at it, it felt very heavy and stiff. But more than that, was the degree of difficulty of putting it on and taking it off.

Comparing the two, I decided that ease of entry was a major issue for my style of riding. While I do some distance riding, I also do a lot of riding where I'll ride for an hour or so and get off. A suit that is easy to put on and take off is very helpful, especially so when I decide to ride to a meeting and need to wear dress clothes to the meeting. Obviously, I can change clothes in the parking lot, but I always have a fear of some security guard having something to say about an old man seen taking his pants off in a parking lot. So, the Roadcrafter makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, I measured myself and sent the information to Aerostich for sizing. They said I should get a 46S. I asked if they had a HiVis yellow with blue ballistic in stock. They did! So, I gave them my credit card information and they tell me it will be shipped later in the day. Last night, I got an email from them that included tracking information indicating that it will be received this Friday! I'm excited!! Assuming I like it as much as others like theirs, I already wish I had bought one of these before I spent probably twice that much on cheaper gear. Unless the sizing is wrong (which is a real possibility since my normal size is 44R and I've tried one on that size that felt pretty good), it's going to Utah. We'll see on Friday.

Hopefully the Belstaff coat and First Gear overpants will stay home rather than go to Utah. Given the bulkiness of the Roadcrafter, I don't think any space will be saved. I'll still carry the mesh coat and pants. But I think the Roadcrafter will give me more flexibility to for moderate to cool areas.

Gotta deal with some bike issues before going--new front tire, maybe a new chain and sprockets, and a general going-over of the bike. More on that in a post soon.....

Enuff for tonight...

No comments: